Politics 13-09-2018

Trump denies the official balance of 3.000 dead in Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria

US President Donald Trump denied on Thursday the official balance of 3,000 deaths due to the passage of hurricane Maria a year ago by Puerto Rico, stating that the figure was inflated by the Democrats to harm him.

Some 3.000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico, when I left the island, AFTER the storm had hit, there were between six and 18 dead, "Trump wrote on Twitter.

The government of Puerto Rico raised two weeks ago the balance of fatalities from the hurricane to 2.975 people, from a figure of 64 deaths.

"As time went by, it did not go up very much, then, a long time later, then they started reporting really very high numbers, like 3.000," Trump said.

"This was done by the Democrats to make me stay as bad as possible when I was successfully raising billions of dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico," he added.

This week, at a time when Hurricane Florence is approaching the east coast of the United States, the US president congratulated his government for its "incredible" response to the emergency generated by Hurricane Maria last year.

During the days and weeks that followed the hurricane of September 20, 2017, criticism was leveled at Trump for his inaction in the face of the widespread disaster that engulfed the island, which spent weeks without telecommunications and months without electricity in large portions of its territory.

This week on the island, a free state associated with the United States, the authorities reacted harshly.

The governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo Rosselló, questioned Trump's assertions and also said that the inhabitants of the island lack "certain inalienable rights they enjoy" in the United States.

"No relationship between a colony and the federal government can ever be described as 'successful' because Puerto Ricans lack certain inalienable rights that our compatriots enjoy in the United States," Rosselló said in a statement.

Earlier, the mayor of San Juan, Yulín Cruz, had also protested.

"A success? The federal response in Puerto Rico according to Trump was a success? If he thinks that the death of 3,000 people is a success, may God help us all," protested the mayor of San Juan, Yulín Cruz.

AFP

 
Consulte a nuestros especialistas